Dessert made from saffron milk and rice
- 1 liter full cream milk
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 pinches Zafran / saffron, soaked in milk
- 2 tablespoons almonds, blanched peeled
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Few saffron threads for garnish
- almonds and pistachios, chopped
- 2 drops kewda (screw pine) essence
- Soak rice for an hour. Drain and dry. Grind dried rice to coarse powder.
- Heat milk. Bring to boil and then simmer for 30 minutes till it reduces 3/4th.
- Add ground rice powder. Keep stirring. Add saffron, sugar, blanched nuts. Mix well.
- Simmer till thick creamy consistency is achieved. Sprinkle cardamom powder and kewda essence. Mix well.
- Cool and garnish with almonds, pistachios and saffron strands. Serve Zafrani Phirni chilled in earthen pots.