Okra cooked in a spicy and tangy sauce
- 400 grams Okra, chopped into medium sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 lime-sized Tamarind, soaked in 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 Chillies, slit
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Kashmir chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry okra till the sliminess disappears. Keep aside.
- Cook onion, tomatoes, chillies, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli powder and salt with 1 cup water.
- Add tamarind water and continue to cook.
- Add okra and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fry curry leaves.
- Pour this seasoning on the curry and mix well.
- Serve Vendakka mulakittathu warm with rice.