Eggplant in spicy roasted coconut gravy
- 350 grams Brinjal/ Vazhuthanenga/ Eggplant, sliced in inch long pieces
- 1 cup Desicated Coconut
- Coconut Oil
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 pinch Fenugreek Powder
- pinch Asafoetida (Kaayam)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger, grated
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 6 Shallots (Kunjulli)
- 3 Dry whole red chilly
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Red Chilly Powder
- 1 Tamarind, lemon sized ball, pulp extracted
- Dry roast coconut along with shallots, garlic, ginger, chilli powder, coriander powder, ground pepper, turmeric, curry leaves till coconut is brown. Blend this along with asafoetida and fenugreek with little water to smooth paste.
- Heat oil. Stir fry Brinjal, sallots along with salt, turmeric powder and tamarind pulp.
- Add ground paste and sauté. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Temper the dish with hot oil, fried mustard seeds, whole red chillies and curry leaves.
- Serve Vazhuthanenga Theeyal hot along with rice.