Spiced fried eggplant snack
- 2 medium eggplants (brinjal), thinly sliced
- 10 dry red chilies
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- Oil for shallow frying
- Rub the eggplant slices with salt and rinse well. Salts makes eggplant absorb less oil.
- Blend chilies, peppercorns, garlic cloves, vinegar and curry leaves to a fine paste. Add salt to adjust taste.
- Tip onto a shallow plate, add the eggplant slices and coat both sides with this mixture. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-low heat. Place the marinated slices in a single layer in the pan and leave for 5-6 minutes to start to crisp. Be careful not to let it burn. Turn over the other side and repeat until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with steamed rice.