Vazhuthananga curry is a spicy and tangy dish made by cooking brinjal with tamarind, roasted coconut and spices. This is a tasty dish that goes well with rice.
- 10 brinjal/small egg plants, cut into quarters with the stalk intact
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 small shallots
- 1 big tomato
- 1 gooseberry size tamarind, soaked in water
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 5 dry red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon chana dal
- 1/2 cup coconut grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10 small shallots
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 dry red chillies
- Curry leaves
- Dry roast the spices, coconut, chana dal, shallots and garlic cloves until the coconut turns golden brown.
- Cool and then grind to a smooth paste with little water.
- Heat little oil in pan, splutter mustard seeds and add cumin, dry red chillies, curry leaves, urad dal, shallots, garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add brinjal, tomatoes, sambar powder and salt and sauté until mushy.
- Add tamarind pulp, ground paste, water(1 cup) and cook covered until the gravy thickens.
- Serve vazhuthananga curry hot with rice.