Savoury porridge made from Kodo millet
Kodo Millet also known as Kodra / mordhan / sawa ka chawal (hindi), Varagu (tamil), Arikelu (telegu), Harka (Kannada), Samo (Gujarati), Bhagar (Marathi)
- 1/2 cup Kodo millet / varai / bhagar / Indian Barnyard millet, grinded to coarse consistency
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 Red chili, whole
- 1 Green chilli, chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon Fenegreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Blackgram dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Salt – to taste
- 1/4 cup Fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 cup Fresh green peas
- 1 teaspoon Cooking oil
- Grind coconut with little water to coarse paste.
- Add millet, green peas, salt and cup of water. Mix well.
- Heat oil in pan. Splutter mustard seeds, black gram, red chillies, chopped green chilli, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add varai / millet mixture. Keep stirring till thick.
- With wet palms, prepare lemon shaped balls.
- Steam balls for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve varai oondi along with sambhar.