Brinjals and drumsticks are very local to Konkan and Mangalore region. This recipe combines local ingredients to suit the local taste. Vaingana Mashinga Sange Sukke is a recipe you must try.
- 4 brinjal, half boiled in salted water
- 2 drumsticks, half boiled in salted water
- 3 teaspoons Coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon Udad dal
- 1 teaspoon till/sesame seeds,
- 1 pinch hing,
- 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds/fenugreek
- 1 piece tamarind, small
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds,
- Curry leaves - few
- Heat oil. Splutter coriander seeds, urad dal, sesame seeds, hing and red chillies. Roast for a while.
- Add tamarind and coconut. Fry for one minute. Remove, allow to cool and grind to coarse paste.
- Heat 2 tsp oil and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add and stir fry vegetables.
- Add paste and mix well. Adjust consistency with water. Allow to simmer for about 5-10 minutes till vegetables are cooked. Adjust taste with salt.
- Serve Vaingana Mashinga Sange Sukke with steamed hot rice.