Vaatlya Daliche Ladoo is an authentic and traditional Maharashtrian delicacy prepared by roasting chana dal paste in ghee. It is a sweet dish that is usually served during the Diwali festival.
- 4 cups chana dal, soaked in water
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands
- Sliced almonds, pistachios and raisins for garnishing
- Grind soaked chana dal and roast it in ghee on low heat, stirring continuously until it turns golden brown.
- Make sugar syrup by heating sugar along with 1.5 cup water and saffron threads.
- To the sugar syrup, add milk, dry fruits and cardamom powder.
- Pour this syrup over the dal mixture and mix gently.
- Rest the mixture for 1-2 hours. With greased palms, roll into balls / ladoos.
- Garnish with sliced almonds, pistachios and raisins.
- Store Vaatlya Daliche Ladoo in an air-tight container.