Unnakkai / Unnakaya or Kai Ada/ Kai Porichathu is sweet dessert from Malabar region in Kerala. It is made using ripe banana and cooked with coconut, jaggery and nuts. It is popular during Muslim festivals and weddings in the region.
- 3 Kerala Banana/ Ethappazham, medium sized, nearly ripe
- 3 tablespoons Ghee
- 1/2 cup Coconut, freshly grated
- Sugar, as per taste
- Cashew nuts, roasted and broken in pieces
- 2 pinches Cardamom powder
- Oil to fry
- Roast cashew nuts and rasins in some ghee till light brown. Keep aside.
- Roast coconut in little ghee till light brown. Add sugar and continue heating till it melts.
- Stop heating, add cardamom powder, nuts and rasins. Mix well and keep aside the coconut mixture.
- Steam bananas until soft. Once cool, remove skin and seeds and mash to form smooth dough.
- Roll a small portion of banana dough to form flat circle.
- Place 1 tbsp of coconut mixture. Close ends and seal. Make cylindrical shape.
- Deep fry banana rounds until golden brown on all sides.
- Serve Unnakkai hot.