Coconut and jaggery filled steamed rice dumplings popularly made during Ganesh Chaturthi festival in Maharashtra.
- 2 cups Rice flour, sieved
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3 cups Fresh grated coconut
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced or grated jaggery/Gud
- Seeds of 2-3 green cardamoms made into a powder
- 2 strands of saffron (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
- 1 pinch salt
- Heat ghee. Roast coconut and jaggery till coconut is coated with melted jaggery.
- Add saffron strands and cardamom powder. Mix well. Cover and cook on low heat till coconut is cooked completely.
- Heat water along with salt and oil. As it boils, add rice flour and lower heat. Mix well till it gelatize into rice dough. Knead steamed dough.
- Take a piece of rice dough. Flatten it and fill 1 tsp mixture. Pinch walls at 6-7 uniformly spaced points and slowly close the sides to get the shape of a modak.
- Steam the modaks for 15-20 minutes. Serve Ukadiche Modak hot.