Lentil curry made with onion-tomato tempered with spices
- 1/2 cup Toovar dal / split pegion peas
- 2 Green chilies, slit
- 1 Onion large, sliced
- 2 Tomatoes, cut
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- Salt - to taste
- 5 Curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Pressure cook dal. Add salt and turmeric powder. Stir.
- Heat ghee. Crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute
- Add tomatoes. Cook till soft.
- Add dal and little water if required. Adjust taste with salt and red chilli powder.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and cut tomatoes.
- Serve hot Tomato Pappu with rice.