Wild monsoon herb thaikulo cooked along with jackfruit seeds.
Thaikulo in Konkani or Thojank in Tulu, Takrike in Kannada, Takara in Malayalam, Chakvad in Hindi & Cassia Tora in English is a wild herb that grows in open areas especially after a few showers of rain. Thaikulo is very similar to fenugreek/ methi leaves but dont have bitter taste.
- 2 bunches of Thaikulo/Thojank/Takrike/Chakvad/Cassia Tora, leaves plucked and washed
- 1 medium potato cubed (optional)
- 4 bikna /jackfruit seeds, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard/rai
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 4 curry leaves
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and fry onion.
- Add garam masala, tamarind paste, thaikulo leaves, potatoes, bikna, salt and little water.
- Cook covered till potatoes and bikna are cooked.
- Serve Thaikulo Ani Bikna hot with roti.