Amti is lentil curry made in Maharashtra. This recipe involves use of drumstick in making spicy lentil curry.
- 1 cup Toor dal / split pigeon peas
- 3 Drum sticks, peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 Green chillies
- 2 Kokum, dried pieces
- 1 tablespoon coconut, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Jaggery, as per taste
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon rai / mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 pinch Hing / asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon halad / turmeric powder
- Pressure cook dal along with tomato. Blend and keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add hing and turmeric powder.
- Add onion and fry till light brown.
- Add kokum, green chilles and half of coconut.
- Add drumstick and a cup of water. Cook covered for 5 minutes till drumsticks are cooked.
- Add dal and mix well. Adjust consistency with water. Bring to boil.
- Adjust taste with salt and jaggery.
- Serve Shevgyachya Shenganchi Amti along with hot steamed rice.