Pithala is protein rich poor man’s dish in Maharashtra. Shevgyachya Shenganche Pithla includes richness of drumstick in the pithala.
- 2 drumsticks, peeled and chopped in 2\" long pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves / kothimbir
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon gul / jaggery, as per taste
- 1 piece kokum
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 1 onion, small and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch hing / asafoetida
- 3 tablespoons besan / gram flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut, freshly grated
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Add hing.
- Add onion and fry till light brown. Add remaining spices. Saute.
- Add drumsticks, 2 cups water and cook covered till drumsticks are slightly tender.
- Add gram flour slowly and stir continously to avoid formation of lumps.
- Adjust taste with salt, kokum and jaggery. Cook covered for 2-3 minute till gram flour tastes cooked.
- Garnish with chopped kothimbir and coconut. Serve shevgyachya shenganche pithla along with bhakri.