Spicy elephant foot yam curry
- 250 grams Elephant foot yam / senai
- Ginger - inch long piece, chopped
- 3 Green chilli, minced
- 1 pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- Tamarind - small lemon sized ball, soaked in water, pulp extracted
- 3 tablespoons Tur dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Grease you palms with oil while your peel, chop and wash yam.
- Soak tur dal for 20 minutes. Pressure cook tur dal. Mash well when cool.
- Pressure cook yam separately till cooked. Mash coarsely.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Roast hing, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Add cooked dal and yam. Adjust taste with tamarind water and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes while stirring in between till it thickens.
- Serve along with hot rice.