Sakharbhaat is a popular Goan / Maharashtrian dessert made by cooking basmati rice with saffron, sugar and ghee. It is very common to prepare this dish during festivals and celebrations.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 -4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon saffron, lightly roasted
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- Cashew nuts, raisins and slivered almonds
- Fry cashew nuts in ghee until light golden in color. Keep them aside.
- Sauté cloves and rice for 2 minutes and cook rice by adding 2 cups of water.
- Prepare a sugar syrup, add saffron and mix well.
- Add cooked rice, cashews, raisins and slivered almonds.
- Cover and cook on low heat until all the syrup is absorbed.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.