Raungi Ki Dum is a traditional Himachali recipe prepared with black eyed beans, spinach and spices. It pairs well with both rice and roti.
- 2 cups Rongi / lobia /Black eyed beans, soaked in warm water for 4 hours
- 10 Palak leaves, ground into a smooth paste
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek powder
- 1 tablespoon Fennel seeds
- 1 Green chili
- 2 Green cardamom
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Ghee
- 2 Dried red chilies
- 2 Cloves (for mitha powder)
- 1 cinnamon stick, inch long (for mitha powder)
- 1 mace flower (for mitha powder)
- 2 Cloves(for mitha powder)
- 1 Green cardamom (for mitha powder)
- Powder all the ingredients for mitha powder.
- Cover and cook lobia with 4 cups water till half cooked.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee and fry whole spices , dry red chillies , green chilly , fenugreek powder , mitha powder, turmeric powder, spinach purée and salt . Stir well.
- Add lobia. Cover and cook for 5 minutes .
- Add remaining ghee and cook till water reduces and lobia is completely cooked .
- Serve Rongi Ka Dum hot with steamed rice / Rotis.