Potol Posto is a famous Bengali delicacy prepared by cooking fried pointed gourd/parwal in a rich poppy seed and coconut gravy. It goes well with plain rice.
- 6 pointed gourd/patol, peeled, halved and marinated with salt and turmeric powder for 5 minutes.
- 3/4 cup poppy seeds, soaked in warm water
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 3 green chili
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon onion seeds
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Oil as required
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Grind poppy seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, 2 green chilies, and a little salt into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion seeds, pointed gourd. Sauté for a while.
- Add 4 tbsp grated coconut and sauté.
- Add poppy seed paste, salt, sugar and warm water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add grated coconut and green chilli.
- Serve Patol Posto warm with plain rice.