Banana stem cooked with Jackfruit seeds.
Posola or tender banana stem is a distinctive part of Assamese cuisine.
- 1 cup finely chopped banana stem
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon of onion- ginger-garlic paste
- turmeric powder
- 10 dried jackfruit seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 green chili (optional)
- Wash and boil/roast jack fruit seeds till slightly soft.
- Grease your pam and remove outer layers of banana stem.
- Chop the tender parts inside into small pices.
- Knead/Crush the pith with salt and squeeze out excess water.Throw the water away and reserve the squeezed pith.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds and slit green chillies. Add ginger-garlic paste. Fry.
- Add boiled jackfuit seeds and fry till it turns light brown.
- Add the chopped banana stem, salt turmeric and soda. Saute 1-2 mins.
- Sprinkle a handful of water and cover with a lid. Cook over low heat till the banana stems are soft and all the water is absorbed.
- Serve hot as a side dish with steamed rice.