Pongakkuzhambu or Pongal Kuzhambu is a mixed vegetable curry prepared during the Pongal festival. Vegetables are cooked with lentils, tamarind and spices and then served with rice. It is a common side dish with ven pongal.
- 2 cups Mixed green vegetables- Brinjal, Carrot, avarakkai etc., chopped to big pieces
- 1 tablespoon Toor dal
- 1 tamarind, Lemon sized and soaked in lukewarm water
- Hing / asafoetida
- 3 Green chillies
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sambhar powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Salt to taste
- Few Curry leaves
- Pressure cook toor dal with a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add vegetables, turmeric powder, sambar powder and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tamarind water, salt and toor dal and boil for a few minutes.
- Serve Pongakkuzhambu hot with Pongal/rice