Bitter Gourd cooked in a spicy coconut gravy
- 4 Pavakka (Bitter Gourd), sliced
- 10 Curry leaves
- 3 Shallots, big, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 5 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind Paste
- 1 cup Coconut, grated
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil. Roast coconut for 2 minutes. Add and fry coriander seeds, red chillies and shallots till shallots are brown. Cool and grind to fine paste.
- Boil bitter gourd in 2 cups water till cooked. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil. Crackle mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add bitter gourd and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add ground paste, tamarind and salt. Adjust water for consistency. Bring to boil.
- Serve Pavakka Theeyal along with rice