Paruthi paal is special drink in Tamil Nadu especially Madurai. This triple nutrient – fat, protein and fiber – drink is made from cotton seed, coconut, jaggery and spices.
- 200 grams Cotton seeds
- 50 grams raw rice flour
- 100 grams Jaggery
- 1 teaspoon sunth / dried ginger powder
- 3 tablespoons Grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 3 Cardamom pods
- 1 cup Thick Coconut milk
- Soak cotton seeds overnight. Wash them thoroughly in running water. Blend along with cup of water. Filter and squeeze cotton seed milk.
- Make jaggery syrup by dissolving and heating jaggery with water until syrup consistency. Filter and keep aside.
- Heat and bring to boil cotton seed milk. Continue heating while stirring.
- Add crushed cardamom pods, cardamom powder, ginger powder and keep stirring as it thickens.
- Add jaggery syrup. Keep stirring on low flame. As the raw smell goes away add coconut milk.
- Serve hot paruthi paal in morning as herbal drink for remedy for cold and for good digestion.