Palong Shaager Torkari is a nutritious combination of spinach and other vegetables. It is a traditional Bengali dish often served with rice.
- 3 bunches spinach, washed and chopped
- 3/4 cup potato, diced
- 3/4 cup ridge gourd, diced
- 3/4 cup pumpkin, diced
- 3/4 cup brinjal, diced
- 2 green chilli, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup bori (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 2 teaspoons bhaja masala powder/garam masala powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 Red chilli, broken into 3-4 peices
- 1 teaspoon panch phoran
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- A handful coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- Heat oil. Add sauté turmeric, salt and potatoes until potatoes turn golden. Keep aside.
- Repeat the same procedure for pumpkin, brinjal and boris.
- In the remaining oil, temper panch phoron and red chilli pieces.
- Add all the sautéed veggies, ridge gourd, bori, spinach, salt, sugar, green chillies, coriander leaves and water.
- Cover the pan and cook till the extra water evaporates.
- Sprinkle bhaja masala powder and ghee on top. Leave the dish covered for a while.
- Serve Palong Shaager Torkari warm with plain rice.