Palak nadir is a tasty Kashmiri dish usually prepared for religious ceremonies. It is a quick and easy to make recipe with very few ingredients. This delicious curry goes perfectly with either steamed rice or roti.
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 cup lotus stems, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel / saunf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger / soonth
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt / kala namak
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Stir fry lotus stems and until tender. Keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and fry cumin seeds and asafoetida. Add chopped spinach and salt. Cook until mixture dries.
- Add red chili powder, ground fennel, and ground ginger. Add 1-2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once cooked, mash the greens lightly. Add fried lotus stems. Adjust taste with salt and cook for few more minutes.
- Serve Palak Nadir with rice.