Olav – Bum is a delicious dry dish prepared with potatoes and bum plant, which is commonly found in ponds and lakes of Kashmir. The dish goes well with boiled rice.
- 200 grams bum, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 black cardamom, crushed
- 2 cloves, crushed
- Salt to taste.
- 1 pinch hing (asafetida)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon fennel powder
- 1 tablespoon red chilly powder
- 500 grams olav (potatoes), cut into cubes
- 4 teaspoons mustard oil
- Heat oil. Deep fry the potato pieces.
- In the same pan, add cumin, red chilli powder, hing and little water. Stir till oil separates.
- Add cloves, fried potatoes, bum and salt and sauté for 5 minutes.
- In another pan, boil 1 glass of water, fennel powder, ginger powder and black cardamom and add the previously sautéed contents to the pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Serve Olav - Bum with boiled rice.