Olan is a traditional dish from Kerala made Kumbalanga(ash gourd) with Vanpayar(cowpeas) and Thengapal(coconut milk) mildly spiced tempered with coconut oil. It is a very subtly flavored and light dish, often served as part of a sadya (feast served in banana leaves).
- 2 cups thin coconut milk
- 3/4 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 cup Cow peas/ red gram/vanpayar, soaked overnight
- 2 cups ashgourd, diced
- 4 green chillies, vertically slit
- Pressure cook Cook black eyed peas with little salt.
- Cook ashgourd with thin coconut milk, green chillies and salt for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the black eyed peas and thick coconut milk to the cooked pumpkin and simmer on low flame till it just starts to boil.
- Pour coconut oil and add a sprig of curry leaves.
- Cover and cook for 10 min. Serve olan warm with rice.