Simple inexpensive sweet during Diwali
- 1 cup Channa Dal / Kadalai Paruppu
- 1 cup Jaggery, grated
- 2 tablespoons coconut, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Cashew nuts, few
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- Dry roast chana dal till golden brown.
- Add water to roasted dal and pressure cook. Drain excess water.
- Grind chana dal coarsely.
- Make jaggery syrup by heating jaggery with 1/4 cup of water. Strain jaggery syrup once jaggery dissolves. Heat again and bring to boil.
- As the syrup starts thickening, add grated coconut and mix well.
- Add the ground channa dal powder and 1 tsp ghee. Mix well.
- Ghee roast cashew nuts and transfer to the mixture along with cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Okkarai breaks down into smaller pieces and become soft. Okkarai is ready to serve