Spicy and tangy lemon pickle made in Kerala style
- 10 Lemons
- 1 inch Ginger, julienned
- 2 Garlic cloves, julienned
- 2 Green chilly, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder:
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafetida
- 1/4 cup Vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
- Steam lemons for about 5 to 10 min. Allow to cool. Cut lemons into 8 pieces, add a tbsp of salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in kadhai. Splutter mustard seeds and add fenugreek seeds, ginger and garlic. Sauté until slightly browned.
- Add curry leaves, Kashmiri chilly powder, turmeric, vinegar and asafetida. Boil for a few minutes and switch off the fire.
- Add sugar, lemon pieces and mix well.
- In another small kadai, roast mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and powder them.
- Sprinkle this powder on top of the lemon pickle and mix well.
- Store Naranga achar in an airtight bottle.