Milagorai is a simple spicy dish that can be put together in a jiffy. It is plain rice with rich flavours of pepper. This is popular Iyengar recipe served as prasadam in temples and mutt.
- 4 cups Cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Gingelly oil
- Few Cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad dhal
- 1 Red chilly
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Bengal gram
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida
- Heat oil in a pan, add bengal gram, urad dal and fry until golden brown.
- Add chilly and pepper. Switch off the stove when the pepper crackles.
- Grind the mixture to a coarse powder.
- Add this powder, salt, ghee and a spoon of gingelly oil to cooked rice.
- Temper mustard seeds, cashews and asafetida in oil and pour over rice. Mix well.
- Serve Milagorai with fried appalam or papad.