Fenugreek leaves and boiled green peas cooked in sweet cream.
This three super combo is amongst top 100 recipes in India and probably finds its place in menu of every North Indian restaurant. Slight bitter taste of methi along with sweet taste of malai with texture of matar! Such rich dish is considered perfect for a special occasion or dinner.
- 1 1/2 cups methi / fenugreek) leaves, chopped roughly
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 teaspoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds / khus khus
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 piece ginger, half inch long
- 1 green chili
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cashewnuts, broken
- 1 onion, medium chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup milk cream
- 1 cup Green peas, parboiled
- Cilantro / Coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish
- Heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds, green chillies. Add ginger and garlic, sauté for a minute. Add chopped onion, cashews and poppy seeds. Roast till onions become translucent.
- Blend the mixture to smooth paste.
- Heat oil and roast this paste till raw aroma goes away.
- Add milk and water. Mix and bring to boil. Add the chopped methi leaves, boiled green peas and mix.
- Cook covered for 2 minutes. Add cream, mix, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Toss garam masala, garnish with cilantro and serve hot methi matar malai with parathas.