Meethe Zafrani chawal is a sweet delicacy from Himachal Pradesh, made with boiled rice, sugar, dry fruits and ghee. The addition of saffron provides a golden yellow color and a rich delicious flavor to the dish.
- 1 cup Basmati rice, washed and soaked for 10 minutes
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/4 cup milk
- Few strands of saffron, soaked in little milk
- 1 Cinnamon stick, inch long
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 10 Cashew Nuts
- 10 Almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Cook rice in 3 cups of water. Keep aside
- Heat ghee, add fennel seeds and fry the seeds on low flame until fragrant.
- Add cinnamon stick,cardamom pods, rasins and nuts. Fry for few seconds
- Add sugar and allow to caramelize a bit.
- Add 1/4 cup water and bring sugar syrup to boil.
- Add cooked rice followed by pinch of turmeric and saffron milk. Mix well.
- Cover cook the rice on low flame for 8-10 minutes or until all the moisture dries up.
- Serve Meetha Zafrani chawal warm or cold.