Masoor Dal Khichuri is one of the ultimate Bengali comfort foods, especially during the winter season. It is a healthy mix of masoor dal and basmati rice, flavoured with various spices.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups red lentils/ masoor dal
- Mustard oil
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- Green chilli
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and roast lentils for 5 minutes. Add rice and stir.
- In a pan, heat oil and sauté cumin seeds, bay leaf, tomato, green chillies, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Pour this into the pressure cooker, add 1 cup of water and pressure cook till the rice and lentils become mushy.
- Add chopped cilantro and the garam masala powder.
- Serve Masoor Dal Khichuri with pickle.