Spicy rice served in Maharashtrian weddings
- 2 cups rice, soaked in water for 1/2 hour
- 1 cup Tondli / Tinda, slit verticaly
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts, broken
- 3 teaspoons Kala Masala (coconut powder, white sesame seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin seeds, dry red chillies)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves / kadipatta
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 pinches hing / asafoetida
- Jaggery, as per taste
- grated coconut for garnish
- chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Drain rice. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee. Splutter curry leaves, mustard seeds and hing. Roast for 30 seconds.
- Add peas, tondli and cashew nuts. Oil roast for 1 minute.
- Add rice and saute for two minutes. Add turmeric powder and kala masala.
- Add 4 cups water. Adjust taste with salt and jaggery.
- Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes till rice is fully cooked.
- Garnish with fresh grated coconut, coriander leaves and ghee. Serve Masale bhaat hot with curd raita.