Baked rice and lentil batter popular in Chettinad
- 1 cup Idli / Dosa Batter
- 2 tablespoons fresh coconut grated
- 15 sambar onions / shallots
- salt as per taste
- 1 sprig Curry leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch Asafoetida / hing
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Green chili, chopped
- Heat 2 tsp oil. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida till dal is little brown.
- Fry chopped shallots, green chillies, curry leaves. Saute till onions are translucent. Add salt. Put off the flame.
- Add coconut and mix well.
- Mix idli/dosa batter with mixture.
- Heat paniyaram pan and grease with oil. Place spoonful of mixture in each mould. Place the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn paniyarams in between and again cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot paniyaram with chutney.