Kumbalanga parippu curry is a highly nutritious and delicious Kerala recipe that is served with rice. It is made with ash gourd, lentils, coconut and spices.
- 1/2 cup Lentil, washed and soaked for an hour
- 1 cup Winter melon/ash gourd, peeled and cut into cubes
- Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 3 Dry red dry chillies
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Yogurt, whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 4 teaspoons Coconut, grated
- 3 Garlic pods
- 2 -3 Shallots
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- Cook winter melon and lentils along with chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle.
- Grind garlic pods, coconut and cumin seeds to a fine paste and add it to the pressure cooker.
- Boil for 5 minutes and add yogurt.
- Temper the dal using red chilly, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Serve kumbalanga parippu curry warm with rice.