Khatta kaddu is a sweet and sour dish prepared with pumpkin, tamarind, jaggery and spices. It is a great accompaniment to roti/naan.
- Category: Himachali Recipes
- 600 grams pumpkin, peeled, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- 10 grams jaggery
- Thumb size tamarind pulp
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Add ginger paste, all the spices and pumpkin. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup water. Cook covered till pumpkin is done.
- Adjust taste with tamarind pulp and jaggery. Cook for a minute. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Katta kaddu with roti, puri, paratha or naan.