Kathal madra is a delicious Himachali recipe where jackfruit is cooked in a yogurt gravy. You can serve this dish with rice or bread.
- 500 grams Jackfruit, cut into 1 or 2 inch pieces
- 200 grams Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1 Cardamom, big
- 2 Cardamom, small
- 12 Kalamirch
- 1 Cinnamon, inch long
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaf
- Cumin seeds
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook jackfruit with salt and water for 2 or 3 whistles.
- Heat oil. Fry large cardamom, small cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, bay leaves and cloves. Heat for a while and grind it.
- Heat ghee. Splutter cumin seeds and asafoetida. Add ground spices. Roast for a minute.
- Add jackfruit, turmeric, coriander powder, and red pepper powder and mix well.
- Add yogurt and mix well. Cook on a low flame until it boil.
- Add salt and fresh coriander leaves. Serve Kathal madra hot with rice or bread.