Rice flavored by curry leaves, tamarind and other spices
- Cooked Rice - as needed (any rice)
- 6 teaspoons Sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons Roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon Urad dal
- 2 teaspoons Bengal gram dal
- 3 tablespoons Coconut, grated (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 cup Curry leaves, loosely packed
- 4 -5 Red chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon Tamarind paste
- Salt as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Ghee (optional)
- Heat 2 tsp oil. Roast urad dal, red chillies and tamarind till dal is golden brown. Add curry leaves and grated coconut. Cook further for 2-3 minutes. Grind to paste.
- Heat 4 tsp oil. Fry Bengal gram, hing, turmeric powder, peanuts and above mixture. Add salt. Mix well. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice. Mix well. Cook for a minute.
- Serve Karuveppilai Sadam along with curry.