Kappa stew is a delicious curry, prepared by cooking tapioca in coconut milk and spices. It is very simple and flavor packed dish that requires only minimal ingredients.
- 2 cups tapioca / kappa, washed and boiled in salted water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups thin coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole pepper corn
- 1 piece cinnamon, inch long
- 2 -3 cloves
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 -3 green chillies, vertically sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Sauté whole spices and ginger garlic in coconut oil till the raw smell disappears.
- Add sliced onions, green chillies and curry leaves, sauté until golden brown.
- Add green peas, cooked tapioca, spice powders and thin coconut milk and simmer for 5-7 mins.
- Add in the thick coconut milk, bring to a boil and switch off.
- Serve kappa stew warm with idiyappam/ vellayappam/ kallappam.