Kalya vatanyachi Amati is a typical Marathi dish prepared with black peas. It is a spicy, flavorful and highly nutritious dish that can served with steamed rice, chapati, bhakari, neer dosa or ghavan.
For Onion-Coconut Masala Paste
- 1 Inch ginger
- 1 big onion, thinly sliced
- 3 -4 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 2 -3 garlic pods
- 1 Inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 -1/2 cups black peas soaked over night and pressure cooked.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato. finely chopped
- 7 -8 curry leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 -3 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Few coriander sprigs
- Roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon sticks and fennel seeds in 2 tbsp oil on medium-low heat.
- Add chopped garlic, ginger and onions and sauté till onion turns light brown.
- Add desiccated coconut and roast till it turns brown.
- Let the mixture cool down and then grind it to a fine paste by adding little water.
- In another pan, add bay leaves, mustard seeds and curry leaves to hot oil.
- Add chopped onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Add tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cooked black peas and salt.
- Mix well and add ground onion-coconut paste.
- Add enough water, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Kalya vatanyachi Amati hot with steamed rice, chapati, bhakari, neer dosa or ghavan.