Popular side dish from Tanjavur district of Tamil Nadu made from potatoes and green gram.
- 3 Potatoes, boiled and cubed
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon Coconut
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Chopped coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Ullutham paruppu / Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Cinnamon half inch piece
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Payatham Paruppu / Moong dal
- 2 Garlic, cloves
- Boil potatoes, peel and cube them. Cook the Payatham paruppu / Moong dal until mushy.
- Grind coconut, fennel, green chillies and garlic with little water.
- Heat oil in pan. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Add the cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Fry it for about a minute or until aromatic.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until it is translucent.
- Add the ground masala paste and sauté it on low heat until aromatic (about 6-8 minutes).
- Now add the boiled potato cubes and mix well. Also add the cooked dal along with the salt needed.
- Mix well and add water to bring it to gravy like consistency. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and cilantro before you serve along with dosa.