Keralite breakfast dish made from kala chana and coconut.
- 1 cup Kadala (black chick peas / kala chana), soaked overnight
- Coconut milk from half of a coconut (thick and thin extract)
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 2 Onion, medium, Thinly sliced
- 1 Ginger 1/2 inch piece, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Coriander Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 Green Chilly, chopped
- 3 Curry Leaves, Springs
- Heat oil. Fry onions, green chillies, garlic, ginger and curry leaves.
- Once onions are soft, roast chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder. Add drained Kadala and salt.
- Pressure cook the mixture till kadala is cooked.
- Add thin coconut milk extract. Bring to boil till gravy reduces to half.
- Add thicker coconut extract and bring to boil again.
- Serve Kadala Curry hot with Rice Roti / appam.