Kadachakka curry is a delicious and flavorful dish, most popular in the central parts of Kerala. It is made with breadfruit, which is a great source of fiber and other nutrients. This healthy and nutritious curry is usually served as a side dish for rice.
- 3/4 medium sized bread fruit, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 5 curry leaves
- 1/2 lemon size tamarind, soaked in water
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chilly powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green chillies vertically slit
- 1/3 cup coconut, sliced
- 15 shallots
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast coconut and spices on low-medium flame and grind into a smooth paste using little water.
- Saute curry leaves, sliced coconut, shallots ,crushed garlic and green chillies.
- Add bread fruit, ground paste and 1 cup water to the pan and bring to boil.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes
- Add tamarind pulp and salt, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve kadachakka curry hot with rice.