Jholi is curry preparation from hills of Uttarakhand. Similar to Kadhi recipe from north India, this is bit thicker and spicier.
- 1 cup Besan / bengal gram flour
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chillies powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry coriander seed powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida/hing
- 4 red chillies, whole
- 1 teaspoon jeera / cumin seeds
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 3 cups Curd
- Chopped spinach / local green vegetables - optional
- Beat besan along with little water, turmeric and little salt to thick paste.
- Gradually add curd and mix well to flowing mixture.
- Heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds. Fry garlic till light brown. Add red chillies and hing.
- Add curd mixture and spice powders - coridander seed powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Stir continously till gravy thickens and boils.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes. Adjust taste with salt and consistency with water.
- Add chopped greens. Cook for few minutes till leaves are tender.
- Garnish with coriander leaves / chillies and serve Jholi as side dish to rice along with ghee.