Kali dal is a spicy and tangy black lentil curry that is popular in Himachal Pradesh. It goes well with rice or roti.
- 1 cup whole/split black lentils (mah ki daal)
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhaniya)
- pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 4 tomatoes pureed with 5-6 cloves of garlic (or 1 1/2 small cans of tomato paste)
- 5 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook lentils with 2 tbsp mustard oil, turmeric powder, 2 big sliced onions, salt to taste and sufficient water. Keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp mustard oil in another pan and add bay leaves, asafoetida and cumin seeds and stir for a minute.
- Add sliced ginger, chopped onions and fry till the onions begin to brown.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder and red chili powder. Stir for a minute.
- Add pureed tomatoes and salt and cook covered for 15 min.
- Add cooked dal, onion and tomato mixture and mix very well. Simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in between.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve kali dal hot with rice / roti.