Sauce made from raw turmeric in Karnataka
- 3 pieces Raw turmeric rhizome, 2 inch long
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 raw Tamarind, small piece
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 8 Pepper corns
- Salt to taste
- Wash and prick turmeric with fork. Placed on fork, cook directly on flame for 4-5 minutes till slightly soft.
- Remove turmeric skin and chop finely.
- Heat oil. Splutter pepper corns, urad dal, mustard seeds and sesame seeds.
- Roast for a while and then remove and grind along with turmeric pieces, grated coconut and tamarind using little water into fine paste.
- Heat the paste in a pan. Adjust taste with salt and sugar. Bring to boil till mixture thickens.
- Serve raw turmeric Gojju hot with steamed rice. Refrigerate and store for 2-3 days.