Rice cooked along with spices and tangy sorrel leaves
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind Pulp
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 3 green chillies, slit
- 1/4 cup Groundnuts
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal
- 1 tablespoon Urad dal
- 3 Red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoons Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 1 large bunch Red Sorrel leaves/Gongura, de-stemed and washed
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds,mustard seeds, red chillies and sesame seeds separately.
- Heat oil and fry sorrel leaves until soft and mushy. Grind leaves along with roasted spices and tamarind pulp to smooth paste.
- Pressure cook rice along with water and salt. Allow to cool.
- Temper steamed rice with oil fried mustard seeds, ground nut, chana dal, urad dal, red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida, turmeric powder and ground gongura paste.
- Mix well and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve Gongura Pulihora hot along with sambhar/curd and papad.