Gogji/shalgam and Hakh, a delicious Kashmiri dish prepared with turnips and greens is the perfect comfort food on a winter’s day. It can be served with rice or quinoa.
- 3 large Turnips, peeled, cut into quarters and sprinkled with sea salt for 20 min
- 2 bunches Chinese broccoli leaves or kohlrabi leaves
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- cumin seeds
- 1 pinch asafetida
- turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds
- Heat a tbsp of mustard oil in a pan and sauté garlic, green chillies, chopped onion, cumin seeds and pinch of hing
- Add turnip and fry for about 3 mins.
- Add tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ground coriander, ground fennel, ground ginger and salt to taste. sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the greens and a cup of water and pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles.
- Add black cumin seeds at the last minute of cooking.
- Serve Gogji and Hakh hot with rice.