Gathi Kochu r Dalna is a pure vegetarian Bengali specialty made with taro root and spices. It is a quick and simple dish that can be served with rice, chapati or roti.
- 8 pieces taro root, sliced into halves
- Salt to taste
- 2/3 cup mustard oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion seeds
- 2 green chili slit
- 1/2 cup green peas, blanched in warm water
- 1 Medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cut into cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Fry taro root and potatoes separately with little salt and turmeric powder one by one and keep aside.
- Saute onion seeds, green chili, tomato, cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add 2 cups water, fried taro root, green peas and potato cubes and bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and turn off the stove.
- Serve Gathi Kochu r Dalna with plain rice, chapati or roti