Gahat ko jhol is a very healthy and nutritious soup prepared with horse gram and spices. It is a Himalayan delicacy that goes well with rice or roti.
- 2 Dry red chillies
- Coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons Ghee/butter
- Salt as per taste
- Jimbu/Himalayan aromatic herb (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chillies powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 cup Gahat, soaked overnight
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- Few Cloves
- 1 Cardamom
- 1 piece Cinnamon
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 piece Ginger 1/2 inch
- Pressure cook gahat with two cups of water, half a tsp of salt, crushed ginger and garlic, a cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, cumin, coriander powder, half tsp turmeric powder and red chilies powder for 6 whistles.
- Let it cool down for a few minutes and remove cinnamon stick, cloves and cinnamon. Add some water and simmer for some time.
- Temper with hot ghee and fried fenugreek seeds, cumin seed, red chilly, finely chopped ginger and garlic, half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and jimbu.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve gahat ka jhol soup with roti or steamed rice.